Sunday, January 24, 2010

What Does "So Dutch" Mean?

Often my family says, " I am so Dutch that I won't pay for that."  Or, " I am so Dutch that I'll make that myself." 

So what does "so Dutch" mean?  Being Dutch means many things to me.  I am 100% Dutch.  But, no, I don't speak Dutch.  I am very proud of the good things from my heritage.  My family has always been hardworking, instilling a strong work ethic in the next generation.  For many generations back, my ancestors have been God-fearing and Bible reading.  The family played an important part of their lives.  My mother always cooked us a hot breakfast every day.  We always ate dinner together.  We worked and played together.  My ancestors were so concerned with teaching their children about God that Christian Education was promoted.  Even now, my family homeschools to pass on our values to our children.

My dad often said, "Necessity is the mother of invention."  Creativity flourished in our home.  He was always making some gadget or jig because he needed something.  My grandmother, who taught me to crochet, made an afghan for each of her children and all of her grandchildren among many other things.  My mom taught me to sew and made our clothes when we were young. 

Frugality and resourcefulness are prominent qualities.  I was taught to appreciate the value of the dollar and take very good care of my things.  My family bought quality whenever possible so it would last and made things when possible to save money.  My dad always repaired things so as not to pay a repairman.

For generations, Dutch people have been known for their cleanliness.  The same was true for my family.  My grandmother's kitchen floor was so clean you could skate on it in your socks!  Even the family car was spotless. 

As all heritages have their special qualities, these are a few of what I believe are Dutch qualities.  So I am dedicating this blog to exploring and expressing these and other facets of my heritage.  Come join me on my journey, won't you? 

Blessings,


1 Practical Remarks:

Gloria January 24, 2010 at 6:30 PM  

Hey Mama! The site is looking great. Plus I fixed the comment section... now people can *actually* leave a comment! :D

Julia

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP