Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Fire Starter Frugal Tip

The cold weater is not over yet and maybe you have run out of fire starters.  Possibly you got caught without dry kindling on a wet day.  Here is a very frugal way to start a fire. 

A friend had a pile of ragged jeans next to her fireplace and I asked her what she was planning to do with them.  She told me she uses them to start her fire.  Well, I had never heard of burning cotton clothing so I went home and tried it.  Voila!!  It worked and it worked very well.  This pair of pants was too small for anyone in my family so I used it to start my fire.  The cotton burns slowly so it gives the fire a chance to start. 
You may be an old hand at frugality and this may not be new to you but it was new to me.  If it is news to you also, give it a try.  Grab an old shirt or whatever you have that is 100% cotton and has no more use as clothing and try it out! 

Leave a comment and me know how you like it.  Thanks!

Keeping warm,

2 Practical Remarks:

Rachel February 23, 2010 at 8:18 AM  

Very neat Mrs. Erickson! :D I have heard of fire starters before, but since we don't have a fireplace of anything,, we don't use them. ;) I think think they really ARE a very frugal thing, as there is always articles of clothing that have been outgrown or are no longer nice enough to even pass on to the local Goodwill! ;) I went through MANY pairs of jeans when I was little, they always got holes in the knees. :) HeHe!

Blessings to you and your lovely family!
~Miss Rachel~

Gloria February 23, 2010 at 9:01 AM  

Hi Rachel,
Thank you for the great comment! It is so nice to hear from you! I'm glad that you read the blog. Maybe we will have a tip that you can use sometime! :)
Thanks again,
Mrs. Erickson

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP